The main objective is an iron clad immune system. If you have one, nothing is getting in. And if it DOES get in, it’ll be destroyed by your battalion of dedicated fighters before it could even raise a white flag.
Before we get into the HOW, I feel the need to address something very important. It’s called FEAR. If you haven’t noticed, living in fear keeps you in a very controllable and low emotional state. Because of how it feels to be in fear, the body’s immune system can not properly regulate itself. Fear is a state of fight or flight which is also known as sympathetic dominance. We have talked about this before. The body is designed to be in this state ONLY when there is immediate and eminent danger (like a saber tooth tiger on your tail!). Currently most people are in sympathetic dominance MOST of the time. This is the equivalent of putting your car in neutral and revving on the gas continuously for days, weeks, months, years. What do you think may happen to that engine? Total burn out, right? And that is where we are. Living in a state of fear of what flu bug might get us next, or what economic down turn might be the end of us, or what nuclear bomb might be going off! Yikes. Take a check at where you are RIGHT NOW this moment. You’re ok! I urge you, every time you’re inclined to think about the future or the past, just breathe and remember where you are NOW. Remind yourself that you’re ok. Think about something or someone you love very much and let that feeling expand. There, now you’re back in the parasympathetic state of the nervous system where your immune system actually has control.
Now that we are in parasympathetics, here are my favorite steps for totally avoiding the flu in every way, shape, and form!
1. Sleep. A pitch dark room is always best. You know your body. Don’t short change it or you’ll regret it later.
2. Diet. Eeek, the holidays are coming. Work to keep your sugar content to a maximum of 4 grams daily. Sugar will wipe out your immunity like nothing else. Strive for whole foods and minimal grains (wild rice, quinoa are fine). Get that protein! You’re building immunity with grass fed bison (my fave) and other organic meats when not over cooked. Skip the pork.
3. Ensure adequate Vitamin C and D levels. In my opinion your blood work should show 80-100 ng/mL of Vitamin D. Anything below that in our climate is inadequate for immune boosting. If you’re over 35 years, take your vitamin D with a high quality lemon oil or a squeeze of lemon to be sure it gets where it needs to go!
4. Watch your pH level. If your first morning urine is below 6.2 on the pH scale, you are mineral deficient and once again have a lagging immune system. You need more greens, lemon water, and most likely a high quality liquid mineral supplement. It’s so important to check your kids’ pH as well! As long as they are hydrated, give them Celtic and/or quality pink salt to increase theirs (all bad processed salt has to be out of the diet for this to work). We give our kids a minimum of 1/4 tsp of salt daily in water, or just to suck on with breakfast and/or before bed.
5. If you feel the dreaded tickle in the back of your throat, or the ache in your muscles or kidney area indicative of a cold or flu coming on, YOU HAVE A MAXIMUM OF 2 HOURS TO CHANGE THE COURSE. It’s go time. Immediately start a gargle solution of filtered water, high quality Oregano Oil, and sea salt. Use this gargle every 20-30 mins for that whole day (and the next day if you’re wise). If you miss the 2 hour window, all bets are off.
6. Poop lots. :) Sorry but it needs to be said. If you miss the 2 hour window, your absolute best bet is to start pooping. Nothing clears the lungs, sinuses, liver, gall bladder, and kidneys like bowel movements. Stop worrying so much about diarrhea! It’s ok if you’re sick. It’s your body’s way of eliminating all of the dead virus and bacteria it’s working so hard to kill off. Of course pay close attention to your hydration, but other than that, let it flow. And if it’s not flowing much, get some help! Use a little senna tea, or even a laxative during this time. Do not use a coffee enema when you are already sick. These are best used as a preventative.
7. Stop complaining already and just drink your water. At least 1/2 your body weight in ounces of non-chlorinated, non-fluoridated, CLEAN water. Add your pinch of sea salt!
8. Breathe. Deep diaphragmatic breathing (from your belly, not your chest!) is essential for clearing toxins and immune challenges (virus, bacteria, fungus, parasites) that are being harbored in the lungs and GI tract. This type of breathing also brings you back to the almighty parasympathetic nervous system. The only place your body can get quality jobs accomplished!
Hop to it! The saying is true: “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure”!