Oriental Stuffed Cabbage
Recipe type: Supper
- 1 large cabbage
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 2 bunches green onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons naturally fermented soy sauce
- ¼ teaspoon red chile flakes
- 1 bunch cilantro, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot mixed with 2 tablespoons filtered water
- Remove the core from cabbage and set, core side down, in a large pot containing about 2 inches of water. Cover and steam about 15 minutes. Remove wilted outer leaves and steam a bit longer, if necessary, to soften inner leaves. Strew leaves on a tea towel to drain and set aside.
- In a heavy skillet, brown turkey and olive oil until crumbly. Stir in green onions, rice, sesame oil, ginger, soy sauce, chile flakes and cilantro. Season to taste.
- Place a spoonful of stuffing in each cabbage leaf, fold in sides and roll up. Arrange in several layers in a flameproof casserole and cover with stock. Bring to a boil and transfer to the oven. Bake at 300 degrees about 1 hour.
- Use tongs to remove cabbage rolls to a platter and keep warm in the oven. Return the casserole and its liquid to the stove. Bring to a boil and cook vigorously about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until stock has reduced. Add arrowroot mixture spoonful by spoonful until desired thickness is obtained.
- Te serve, ladle sauce onto individual plates and place two or three cabbage rolls on top.
Complexity: Very easy