Northern Bean Soup
Recipe type: Soup
Bacon really adds flavor to this bean and potato soup.
- 1 pound northern beans- pre-soaked and cooked according to package directions
- 3 quarts water
- 1 large onion, diced
- 6 carrots, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 pound bacon (nitrate/nitrite free) fried and diced
- 4 potatoes, diced
- Ham bone if available or just 2-3 cups of ham
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons parsley, if preferred
- ½ teaspoon basil, if preferred
- Add enough water to beans to equal 3 quarts. Add all other ingredients and simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
Complexity: Very easy