Hearty Lentil Soup
Recipe type: Soup
As the name implies, this hearty soup is not only flavorful but zangy as well.
- 1 cup dried red lentils
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup brown rice or wild rice
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Rinse lentils and pick through. Discard any debris, drain. Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat, add onion and bell pepper. Saute for 5 minutes or until brown; stir in cumin and red pepper flakes and cook another minute.
- Add 4 cups water, lentils and rice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 20 minutes. Add salt, stir and cook an additional 30 minutes. Before serving, stir in lemon juice.
Complexity: Very easy